Skip to main content

Your Nights - Kmart Journal Entry

 What keeps you awake at night? What do you regularly dream about? How would you rate the quality of your sleep? What three things can you do to improve it (if you need to)?

What keeps me awake at night? I think that might be one of the silliest questions to ask someone with Borderline Personality Disorder... HA-HA! I am an overthinker and seem to do most of my 'overthinking' later at night. So I am lucky that I have explained this to my mental health team and I am on a medication that helps with my moods and I take it at night, so it sedates me. So I am going to sleep about an hour and a half after I take the medication and it sedates me enough that I fall asleep and don't think. I think the most that I think about is going to sleep. It has been a rather problematic symptom for me since I was in my teenage years, so I am glad that my mental health team are helping me with the symptoms I feel are the worst. And insomnia and overthinking just seem to overlap for me. I love the fact that I can take a couple of tablets and know that my brain will cease overthinking (like it does all day, every day) and that I will be asleep soundly within about 2 hours maximum. The wonders of new technology and drugs!

I don't really dream too much and most of the time when I do dream, I don't normally remember them. I don't like to dream too often, because I have had dreams that I feel are basically premonitions and they scare the absolute f**k out of me when they actually occur in real life. So that is another reason why I like to be sedated to go to sleep at night, because then I don't dream! Most of the premonitions that I have are of people that I love passing away and how, so I would rather not have those dreams. Has anyone else ever had this happen or am I just bat-s**t crazy?!

My quality of sleep is pretty good because yet again I am sedated. So I used to sleep massive amounts when I was on an anti-psychotic medication, sometimes up to 14 hours a day, because they affected me that badly. (I think that might be another blog post about the meds I have been on). So on average I get about 7 hours sleep. And after sleeping sometimes 12-14 hours a day every day for 8 years, I can tell you that 7 hours is perfectly fine by me. I feel well rested and it isn't so hard to wake up in the mornings. 

1. Go to bed a lot earlier

2. Not drink as much caffeine at night

3. Try and read a book more often than playing on my phone to wind down. 

How is your sleep? What things do you think I could do to improve my sleep and sleep routine? What things do you do to help you get to sleep quicker or get a restful sleep? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The Norty Borderline


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Word Check-In - Kmart Journal Entry

Check in with yourself using just two words. How are you doing today? Do it three times throughout the day, and use the space to illustrate your words to reflect the mood. Morning Motivated, Positive Midday Emotional, Blessed Evening Cranky, Pain  Isn't it amazing how by the end of your day, it can be turned around 180 degrees!! So this morning I was motivated and feeling really positive. By the end of today, I am cranky and in so much pain that I am almost about to lose my s**t! But I actually sat down and wrote in my journal for a few hours to try and get some of the frustrations out that I have and it actually felt good to write it all down. Cleansing in a way, I guess. I am trying to learn to write it down and once I have written it down, I am trying to learn to let it go. Yeah, just like Elsa sang! Ha-Ha! So maybe I need to write in there a bit more tonight, to try and get rid of some more frustrations.  I feel like I had a very productive day and now I am in...

Saint Barthelemy

OMG!! Photos of this place just came up on my laptop screen and I have to go there!! It truly looks amazing!! It is definitely a bucket list item! I'm including some photos, so you can see why I am mesmorized by this place. I just posted a blog about walking and how I love to walk along the beach. Oh I would so love to walk along the beaches at Saint Bathelemy! The water looks crystal clear and the sand so yellow! And the scenery around the beaches looks amazing to walk around as well!! Oh please take me there right now! I obviously had to Google it once I seen a photo of the place and now I have learned some new things for the day. (My Grandmother taught me that if I was still learning new things every day that my brain is still working.) Anyway, I now know that it is in the Caribbean and is under French rule. I also know now that the capital is Gustavia and that they speak mainly French and most of the cuisine and culture is French. Oh, now I really want to go there!! Although I ...

Observe Nature - Kmart Journal Entry

When did you last see the sunset or sunrise? When did you last go for a bushwalk? When did you last swim in the ocean? Describe these times. What's your favourite place in nature - why? Great questions Kmart Journal! Ha-Ha!  The last time that I watched a sunset or sunrise was the about three mornings when I woke up at 4:40am (not sleeping the best at the moment) and couldn't get back to sleep, so I did get to see the sunrise. It was also very peaceful and I find that now that I am waking up a bit earlier, that I am more productive with my day, especially in the mornings. I am going to try and start to get up earlier. I have always been a bit of a night owl, therefore I find it hard to get to bed early and end up sleeping in later.  I haven't been on a bush walk for quite some time, but I do try to walk my dog every day and I get to walk to the waterfront whenever I want!  I am not that fond of creepy crawlies, so I don't like to do many bush walks in case I see a creep...